Because something happened to my main Arch install (I don’t know exactly what I screwed up, but half the time X wouldn’t boot and I was stuck at a blank screen), I decided to download the latest release and re-install it. However, I accidentally ended up with a file with an *.img extension, which is not an image for a CD-ROM but for a USB stick. I must have clicked the wrong link somewhere…
In any case, I knew my PC is able to boot from a USB stick, and I didn’t want to wait for the “right” download to finish, so I gave it a try. “Burning” it to the stick was the most difficult part, but as always, the Arch wiki came to the rescue. The CLI command “dd” doesn’t offer much visual feedback, so I just waited until the light on the stick stopped blinking, checked if the job had indeed finished, rebooted, and installed.
The package install was quite a bit faster than usual, so I’ll keep installing distributions this way (if possible). It’ll save me a lot of CD-ROMs that’s for sure, and the USB stick can contain 4GB instead of 700 MB…should open another range of possibilities.